Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Eat!

Eating, we do it all of the time; it's obviously necessary to live.  Did you know the word "eat" appears in the KJ Bible 562 times? That could be a serious word study.  Brent was just quoting one of his favorite "eat" verses to the kids last night at dinner, "Get up, Peter. Kill and eat" from Acts 10:13.  "You can't kill a tomato," he likes to say.
I was watching "The Biggest Loser" when one of the trainers took some of the contestants to his house to enjoy a vegetarian dinner.  Bob told them that most of the food we eat today is beige, colorless.  He said we should eat foods that are full of color.  Hmm, good advice, I think.
I used to think that we should eat only vegetables because that is how God designed it in the beginning, in the Garden of Eden.  God has given us LOTS to chew on since then. ;)
Here's one Bob wouldn't like: For one believes he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats only vegetables. Romans 14:2. Ouch.
God tells us in His Word not to despise others for what they eat or don't eat.  He says all food is good if eaten in thankgsiving, but don't cause others to stumble if they have some reason for not eating something.  He also tells us, more than once, not to worry about what to eat; He will sustain us.  He will feed us.  I believe He means that in more ways than one.  He has dropped meat and bread from the sky; no worries, we'll get fed.  
This verse appears to be really important: Then Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you." John 6:53. I don't know about you, but I want to LIVE ;).
We eat every 4ish hours.  I wonder if we ate on the Word of God every 4 hours how full up on God we'd be. Most people wouldn't think of going without food.  However, we skip our heavenly meals frequently.  God is good!  He is the best meal!  Pressing into Him helps us to control our flesh.  With Him, we can go without physical food for days.
Let's chew on the Word!
Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good; Blessed is the man who trusts in Him! Psalm 34:8

3 comments:

  1. Great thoughts to chew on, Kerry Jo. :) Pretty awesome that our sustenance is always met by reliance on God. God is good. :) Lots to think about there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can always tell when I have skipped a heavenly meal! It parallels the physical...a lack of energy, concentration, shortness in patients..."oh, taste and see that the Lord is good!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. My feed hasn't worked I guess because I've missed these last two posts. Great food for thought...heehee...I can tell when I miss a heavenly meal as well.

    ReplyDelete